Focus Scripture:

I Corinthians 6:19:20: "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, who you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies."


Tuesday, May 17, 2011

How do I start ???

I love the show Biggest Loser. It is wonderful to see the people who work hard and really put the time and work in achieve such dramatic results. In reality, though, it actually stopped me from taking the first step on my own weight loss journey. I didn't think I could lose the weight with out the trainers and nutritionist and all the wonderful things the contestants on the show have at their disposal to help them. I saw many of them losing 10 or more pounds a week and knew that I couldn't do that- so why even try. I can't afford a personal trainer or even a gym membership. I can't afford all of the diet programs that require you to purchase their food and follow a certain program. It looked like a losing battle so I didn't even start. Something that should be and is usually motivating to most was discouraging to me.

Those were all lies from Satan to try to keep me from getting my physical body back in shape- which also kept my mental state out of shape as well with guilt. It was keeping me from what I knew God wanted from me.

After finding out about Bobby's diabetes and our issues with high triglycerides, I knew we both had to do something. The doctor gave me the starting point as I mentioned in my intro blog- cut out as much sugar as possible from foods, and especially from drinks like soda and juice, eat lower fat proteins, cut-out eating anything fried, increase the amount of vegetables and fresh fruit I eat, and limit my carbs and starch intake. So- I stopped soda. That alone saves me several hundred calories a day- and the carbonation is not good for your stomach, kidneys, liver, etc. Then I slowly started eating more salads and not any red meat at first. I used ground turkey in chili and spaghetti and such to cut down the fat.

The second thing I did was start exercising. I did not join a gym. I did not suddenly become a runner. I took it slowly. I started walking in the mall ( you have to remember I live in Oregon and we have only a few months a year to actually enjoy the outdoors...lol.) It seems crazy and something that others do that I would never have done- but it is great. Both Bobby and I started out taking 3-4 walks for at least 30 minutes. We worked up doing one hour of walking at least 2-4 days a week--gradually increasing our pace and now we are up to about 4 miles in one hour. Not anything for the record books- but it is effective exercise. I also use a set of really cheap dumbbells a few times a week to work my arms. I do crunches for ab work. If you can find one cheap, the exercise balls are great to use to for this. Fortunately, I also have access to the apartment building work out room- which has an elliptical machine and treadmill I can use and a weight machine for arms and legs. If you don't have access to one or have a friend who does, you can find many free week passes to gyms and they can give you tips on how to do the exercises without the machines. I can be done if you try. Just remember to also consult your doctor before doing strenuous exercises and always follow basic fitness safety. You don't need to be fancy- you just need to get yourself moving and your blood pumping!

Don't feel defeated. Don't feel you have to lose 5 pounds a week to be successful. Take it one day at a time. Grab an apple instead of a cookie. Eat chicken more instead of burgers. Watch what you put on your sandwiches. Take a walk. Just do it. It is easy to do. Just keep doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment